Friday, July 13, 2012

Today I found yet another article about women's career choices and career satisfaction.  The gist- science careers leads to fewer children, which ultimately makes women unhappy.  I don't really have that much to say about this article, except that seeing all of this research is a bit demoralizing.  The NSF should only pay for happy propaganda about how everything will work out in the end (just in case you don't know me, I am definitely kidding about this).  It just seems like this survey was destined to find unhappiness.  They should have included some questions that might have helped to balance the article- for instance, does your job make you feel intellectually satisfied?  My guess is that stay at home moms probably don't find their jobs as intellectually satisfying as academia...  Everything comes with a price, and it just depends how much you want any given thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment